WHAT IS PICO GENESIS? PICO Genesis is the latest aesthetic treatment to improve the appearance of unwanted freckles, sun spots and age spots – gently, predictably and quickly. PICO Genesis treatments will make your skin appear lighter, brighter, and more even in a series of two to three treatments.
HOW DOES THE PICO GENESIS TREATMENT WORK?
Everyone’s skin contains a substance called melanin. It’s what gives our skin its color. When melanin occurs in high concentrations, it can result in brown spots and uneven skin tone. PICO Genesis uses laser light to selectively shatter unwanted pigmentation and remodel the upper layer of the skin to return balance, clearance, and radiance to your skin.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS SESSIONS ARE REQUIRED?
A series of two to three PICO Genesis treatments are recommended to achieve an optimal outcome, and ongoing maintenance treatments are encouraged to sustain results over time. Your PICO Genesis provider will discuss a treatment plan during your consultation.
WHAT AREAS CAN BE TREATED?
PICO Genesis treatments are ideal for the face, hands and other areas of the body with noticeable signs of sun damage and excess pigmentation.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING A PICO GENESIS TREATMENT, AND WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE?
Prior to treatment, your provider will clean the area. You will feel the tip of the laser device touch your skin. As the laser energy is applied, you’ll f eel a sensation t hat patients often compare to a electric rain sensation. Most patients do not find the treatment uncomfortable, but if you do, your treatment provider may apply a topical anesthetic. Immediately after treatment, you may apply cold air or an ice pack for a short time. You should keep the treated area out of the sun and/or apply sunscreen for protection. Your PICO Genesis provider may recommend additional follow-up care.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS?
Most patients experience mild redness and swelling immediately following the treatment. These side effects are temporary and typically resolve in several hours. Over the course of a few days, the treated sun spots and freckles will become darker and flake off as they heal, revealing a new, even complexion.
IS THERE ANY DOWNTIME ASSOCIATED WITH THE TREATMENT?
Although you may experience mild redness and swelling for a few hours following the treatment, you can expect to return to your regular activities
WHAT ARE THE BEST THINGS TO DO BEFORE AND AFTER TREATMENT?
Before your treatment:
- Do not wear makeup on the day of treatment
- No sun-tanning or self-tanners 4 weeks prior to treatment
- Includes spray tans, tanning lotions, tanning beds, sun exposure, etc.
- Some medications or supplements may increase the risk bruising. Consult with your physician.
- Avoid treatments that may irritate the skin for 1-2 weeks prior to treatment (waxing, depilatories, etc.)
- Notify clinic with any changes to your health history or medications since your last appointment
- History of herpes or cold sores may require an anti-viral prescription prior to treatment
After your treatment:
- Avoid sun exposure and use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen to prevent further sun damage
- Bruising, redness and swelling are common and resolve with time
- Treated pigment will turn darker (brown to black) within 24-48 hours
- Do not pick at treated areas
- Treated pigment will exfoliate off the face in approximately 1 week
- Treated pigment will exfoliate off the body in approximately 2-3 weeks
- Avoid heat – hot tubs, saunas, etc. for 1-2 days
- Avoid skin irritants (examples below) a few days post-treatment
- Products containing tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents, etc.
- Notify clinic of any concerns (blistering, excessive redness/swelling, etc.)
- Consult with clinic about when to resume skin care regime.